Saturday, February 22, 2014

Anti-Valentine’s Day in Second Life?


 
Love is only a dirty trick played on us to achieve continuation of the species.

W. Somerset Maugham

 
          I start tonight by apologizing to my readers.
          (Good, right after mentioning sex, this is a great opener to get everyone’s attention.) 
          I begin this way not because I’ve misspoken or somehow screwed up a prior story.  Although, I’ll be the first to admit that I’m quite capable of both.
          I apologize because by the time most readers see this story, its subject will be long closed and gone from Second Life (SL).
          Several days ago, my good friend inworld, Perry Peterson, and impresario extraordinaire told me about his current event taking place in Mieville Midway.  It was an anti-Valentine’s Day function based on Edgar Allen Poe’s famous short story, The Tell-Tale Heart. 
          Now, given how Perry is the same person who brings us more traditional holiday festivities, I was admittedly a little surprised.  But, since he always has a unique spin on things and has never disappointed me with his who factor, I took down the details and promised to visit soon.
          A little bias on my behalf must be owned up to.  Poe is one of my favorite writers, right up there with Orwell and Hemingway. (I’m nothing if not eclectic.  Significant Other sometimes wonders what this says about our relationship.)  Some say he is the father of the modern mystery.  Others, one of America’s greatest poets.  Some, a diseased mind who somehow managed to capture his thoughts on paper before dying under mysterious circumstances.  They’re all true. 
          The Tell-Tale Heart is one of Poe’s darker tales which is saying a lot.  I won’t give away the plot.   Read it for yourselves if you haven’t already.  I just think it was a stroke of genius on Perryn’s part to play the idea of this short story against the heart associated with Valentine’s Day. 
          Late one evening in Real Life (RL), I take the time to visit the Mieville Midway and see the Gacha Expo: A Tell-Tale Heart for myself.
          I’m in a darkened room in RL, hunched over my machine and enter into Poe’s world of madness as Perryn has laid it out.  (Significant Other is more sensibly camped out in front of the television watching the Winter Olympics.)  I arrive on a dock in a nineteenth century port surrounded by ships of sail and steam.  A light house’s beam cuts through the night and the fog.  Given the hour and that the end of the Expo is nigh, I’m all alone.
          Turning around I see a town above me with roads leading into it and some hills.   Ravens (what else?) fly overhead.  The colors are dark with touches of drab added in.  The scene is atmospheric and brooding.  I think of Poe.  I feel that I’ve entered his consciousness.
          Yes, Perryn has done it again. Although, as he pointed out to me as this was posted, Jalynne Ohma did the actual builds.  Perryn only donated the prims, sent out applications, and collected fees. But his structure provides a unique marketing venue for inworld builders.
          Jalynne  has captured the essence of an idea and created a visual image of it inworld.  Walking through the empty, silent streets with brooding buildings looming over me, I have the sense of something out there which is maybe way Poe tried to convey in his story.  I can’t help but glance over my shoulder both inworld and in RL.  (Significant Other’s been known to startle me when I’m sometimes too deeply engaged.  Claims I need to keep a sense of balance.)
          Yes, there are shops filled with merchandise and gacha machines in the streets but I’m not here to do business.  I’m here to experience an author’s work in a way that is impossible to do on the printed page. 
          A circuitous path takes me through the edges of the town through its center and back to the waterfront.  This is one of Perryn’s finest creations.  He has captured the feeling of the story and laid it out for all to see and experience.
          Unfortunately, since I’ve been running around doing other things in both RL and SL, I post this story on the night the Expo closes.  And, since, Perryn doesn’t repeat these experiences if you haven’t seen it already then you never will.
          For this then, I apologize. 
          If there’s a lesson here, it’s keep close to Perryn and his future events so they won’t be missed.  (BTW, I’ve been given a peek at a highly confidential project of Perryn’s and it’s going to be really something.  Watch here for more details!)

          I include some pictures from my short visit and I hope you enjoy them for this is all many of you will get to see. 
          I’d like to thank Perryn for taking the time to tell about Gacha Expo: A Tell-Tale Heart and all his efforts to bring this sim about.  I look forward to his next projects!  I'd also like to thank Jalynne for her very creative work! 
My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.
As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives.    
I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

  

Photo No. 1 Waterfront LZ

Photo No. 2 Dock Area     

Photo No. 3 Main Street

Photo No. 4 Manor House

Photo No. 5 Statue in Town Center

Photo No. 6 Gacha Machines

Photo No. 7 Masks for Sale

Photo No. 8 Side Street



Photo No. 11 Steampunk Parts Store


 

No comments: