Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Helping Others in Second Life VI – The Fight against Diabetes


 

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you. 

John Bunyan

 

 

          As my three loyal readers know by now, I’ve been assisting XMarieX (“Marie”) Fairport, a friend in Second Life (SL) who lives without her Real Life (RL) disabilities inworld. 

           Marie is also trying to raise money for a service animal to help her with her diabetes.

          During the course of my time with Marie, I became increasingly aware of how the SL community is organizing to bring awareness and dispel the myths of diabetes which afflicts almost 400 million people worldwide with more being added each year.  Fundraisers for the American Diabetes Association (ADA) are also held. 

          One group that I’ve encountered which is leading these efforts is Team Diabetes of Second Life. 

          In conjunction with Windlight Magazine, a new and upcoming magazine that is focused on the arts in SL, Team Diabetes of Second Life is pleased to announce the first
annual Windlight Winter Art Show & Winter Showcase to benefit diabetes research!

          This event will take place from December 7th to December 14th and will include seven days of live DJs, performers, tribute concerts, art exhibitions, contests, shopping, a hunt, a gingerbread building contest and more!

The hunt is a Christmas Tree Ornaments Hunt! 

Scattered throughout the Winter Art Show & Winter Showcase are pieces of a Christmas tree. From ornaments to presents, can you find all sixteen pieces? All hunt finishers will win a huge prize pack that contains many presents!

          Details about times and locations can be found on their website. 

          Please come and enjoy yourselves!

          If you can make a donation so much the better!

          If not then still come and show your support by being part of the community during this festive time!

          I’d like to thank Marie for helping become more aware of the sufferings of those with diabetes and how it can affect their lives!

          I’d like to thank May O. Mingzi for informing me about the Showcase!

          Finally, last but not least, I’d like to thank Johannes1977 for taking the time to answer my questions and supply me with the materials for this story! 

          Happy Holidays to all!

As always, I’m grateful to all inworld for their kindness and time in stopping to talk with a stranger who was passing through their lives

My Twitter handle is @webspelunker.  Please feel free to follow me and I’d be happy to follow you.

I can be found on Google+ as webspelunker Ghostraven.

My flickr Photostream is located here.

On Skype I’m webspelunker Ghostraven.

I welcome feedback from readers, please either comment on my blog or e-mail me at webspelunker@gmail.com . 

          If you would like to read about my other adventures in Second Life
please click here.

          Open roads and kind fires!

 

No comments: